Saturday, January 17, 2009

Inside the editorial page - 'My heart swelled with pride' | The News Tribune | Tacoma, WA

Quincy Jones grew up in Seattle.  His story offers a local and African American perspective on the election of Barack Obama.  It hits home in many ways.  But it also offers a glimpse into what I can’t feel, not having the experiences of growing up during the Civil Rights movement nor as an African American.

Obama offers a sense of hope for the country

By Quincy Jones
Like many Americans and citizens of the world, on the morning of Nov. 5, 2008, I awoke with a renewed sense of purpose. The night before I had seen an event I could never have imagined, the election of an African-American as president of the United States of America. It’s true — if you live long enough, anything is possible.

As I sat with family and friends watching the election results, I resigned myself to tempering my emotions. Like all of Barack Obama’s supporters, I was encouraged by the strength, poise and deftness with which he ran his campaign. I knew that he was the best person for the job. But as a black man in America, I knew from experience not to let what I wanted to happen stray too far from the reality of what I knew could happen.

Inside the editorial page - 'My heart swelled with pride' | The News Tribune | Tacoma, WA

No comments: