Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Dr Codfish Chronicles: We All Live Downstream

My friends Paul and Sheila live in an area that is not all that prone to flooding……right!  For the second time in 13 months, they are facing another flood.  Since the last flood, they have raised their home, and prepared as best as they can.  Please think positive thoughts for them this evening, but do read his post.  It’s an amazing piece.  We’re here for you Paul and Sheila!

Last night at about 8:30 I was going through the final edit of an article I had drafted for a bicycling publication. The phone rang and it was my neighbor. His wife is on the city council and she had just received a call from the Mayor who had let her know that Oakville will once again experience a flood sometime in the next 36 hours or so. Something about the call, about Troy’s voice, the incessant din of rain on the roof, it all combined to shake me in my skin. He had to say it twice; I wasn’t reacting as I should. You know that feeling you get when you have just had a very close call in a motor vehicle, or maybe when you actually have been in an accident? That sense of a body blow when someone you thought loved you said, “not any more”?

http://drcodfish.blogspot.com/2009/01/we-all-live-downstream.html

No comments: